Katz Brunner Healthcare (KBH) is a managed care consulting and data analysis firm specializing in the unique managed care issues confronted by healthcare providers located in small urban or rural areas throughout the country.
KBH utilizes the extensive experience of its principals in over thirty states, representing hundreds of hospitals and affiliated physician groups, and having worked with almost every major payor in the country.
The Katz Brunner principals have a national recognition and professional reputation of providing effective strategies, particularly those practical in a small community hospital setting.
KBH’s comprehensive and detailed analyses of managed care issues, contract language and implementation, data base management, and data mining, support both the establishment of new managed care contracts as well as the restructuring of existing contracts that have proven to be problematic or ineffective to healthcare providers.
Founded in 1995 by Alan S. Katz and Melinda T. Brunner, KBH is dedicated to meeting the managed care needs of healthcare providers in an effective, practical, and cost-conscious manner.
During the first thirteen years of operation under the original name of the consulting firm, Katz Healthcare Services built a solid reputation synonymous with creative, ethical, and flexible solutions.
The firm’s name was changed to Katz Brunner Healthcare in 2008 to reflect the broader array of services to be provided in the coming years, and the more significant participation of Melinda Brunner in senior level consulting, marketing and executive management of the firm.
KBH’s ability to forecast trends, “ask” the right questions and quickly respond to the ever-changing market dynamics of managed care has resulted in long-standing client relationships that often remain even after administrative team or key contact turnover.
The experienced KBH consulting team understands the inherent uniqueness of each provider market and customizes strategies and value-added services to support those identified needs.
To learn more about the services currently provided by KBH, please visit our “SERVICES” page.
Co-founder / President
Co-founder / Consultant Emeritus
Melinda Brunner, co-founder and President of Katz Brunner Healthcare (KBH), has been active in the healthcare arena since 1991, working with hospital administration, boards of directors, revenue cycle staff, physician groups, local employers and benefits consultants.
From 2008 to present, Mrs. Brunner has served as a senior level consultant responsible for providing market intelligence, contract negotiation, financial analytics and strategy development to hospital, physician and ancillary providers throughout the country.
Melinda also serves as the primary corporate liaison with Syntact Healthcare, KBH’s affiliate partner for unique Intuitive Application™ software and critical benchmark pricing data.
As VP of Operations from 2000 to 2008, Mrs. Brunner was instrumental in the development and analysis of multiple large data bases of national healthcare services. Her specialized project work included complex financial modeling of various reimbursement methodologies for hospitals and physicians, strategic charge master reviews, PHO fee schedule development and maintenance and development of employer outreach programs.
Ms. Brunner completed her Master’s in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance in 1997 at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and is a 1991 graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Business School.
Alan Katz, co-founder of Katz Brunner Healthcare (KBH), and its predecessor organization Katz Healthcare Services (KHS), was a nationally recognized managed care consultant, author, trainer, group facilitator and speaker.
Mr. Katz served in a Consultant Emeritus role during his later years, offering unique perspectives from his managed care and statistical analysis experience from both the healthcare provider and the business consumer perspectives obtained during a career spanning over 40 years.
Mr. Katz earned his MBA (1977) and BA (1972) from Michigan State University, and performed post graduate work at the Institute of Gerontology of the University of Michigan and Wayne State University.
Antaean specializes in providing professional business services to hospitals, healthcare systems and integrated delivery systems. Our affiliates enhance the service mix by providing clinical expertise, accounting and technical services to support specific client projects.
Katz Brunner Healthcare serves as a corporate affiliate of The University of North Carolina at Charlotte for its College of Health and Human Services Masters of Healthcare Administration internship program.
IRHA is a member-driven organization of rural healthcare providers throughout Indiana dedicated to enhancing the health and well-being of rural populations through leadership, education, advocacy, collaboration and resource development. As an IRHA Business Partner, KBH provides educational and managed care support to its membership.
Syntact Healthcare is an interactive, online resource that makes comparing analytics of hospital charges, coding & utilization patterns easy and efficient.
- DRGs, ICD-9, MDCs, APCs, and ASC Groupings are developed and maintained by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
- CPT-4 Codes are developed and maintained by the American Medical Association (AMA).
- User agrees and acknowledges that the information contained in this web site is intended to serve only as a guide and basis for general comparisons and evaluations, but not as the sole basis upon which any specific conduct or decision will be recommended or taken.
- The materials provided at this site are provided “as is” without any warranties of any kind, nor implied guarantee of their appropriateness for any particular purpose. Katz Brunner Healthcare (KBH) does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of these materials. This includes, but is not limited to, data provided by CMS and individual state entities. The materials at this site may not be current. Though KBH reserves the right to make changes to the materials at this site at any time without notice, it also makes no commitment to update the materials at any specific intervals.
- Links to third-party web sites are provided solely as a convenience to the viewer. If any of these links are used, the user will leave the KBH site. KBH does not claim to have reviewed the content on these third-party sites, does not control them, and is not responsible for their content. KBH does not endorse or make any representations about the links provided, nor any information or product or materials found therein. If one decides to access any of these third-party sites through the links provided, one does so at their own risk.
- Katz Brunner Healthcare and its affiliates shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, consequential or punitive damages allegedly sustained arising out of one having access to or inability to access this web site, including viruses alleged to have been obtained from the web site, one’s use of or reliance on the web site or any of the information or materials available on the web site, any decision made based on information on this web site, regardless of the type of claim or the nature of the cause of action, even if advised of the possibility of such damages. The user agrees to indemnify Katz Brunner Healthcare and its affiliates, subsidiaries, employees, agents, and representatives, and to hold them harmless, from any and all claims and liabilities (including attorney fees) which may arise from unauthorized use of material obtained through the site, or from any breach of this agreement, or from any such acts through the use of this web site. Use of this web site is deemed to have occurred in the State of North Carolina. The terms of this disclaimer, notice, and agreement shall be interpreted in accordance with North Carolina law.
- This web site, including, without limitation, the images and information contained herein, are the property of Katz Brunner Healthcare and are protected by copyright and/or other intellectual property laws. By using this site, you agree not to reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, broadcast, print or circulate any of the contents of this web site to anyone without the express, prior written consent of Katz Brunner Healthcare. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.